Monday, July 21, 2008

Investment gone wrong but happy camper!


It's been ages since I have posted here ... and obviously living in HK ... shopping is like a sport ... needless to say I have accumulated vast amounts of items in the past year. Something that is very popular nowadays is the "Cut label" clothes from China. If you having been in HK of recent days ... what that means is that you can get allegedly "labelled" clothes for 20-30% of the orig price. The rumor is that these clothes are made in China ... often there will be extra material ... and the manufacturers will make extra pieces ... and off load them. Of course ... some are now just fake "Cut labels" ... which means that they are just copies of whatever's in magazines, but the shop still cut the labels off to con people. For me ... who cares ... as long it's a dress in a nice material, nice cut, paying $4-600 HKD ... it's just the same as me going to Island Beverly Island buying some random brand!


Let me give a few examples.

1. The blue dress on the right here is an alleged "Laundry" ball gown. Looked it up on internet, cost was about US$4XX orig. Cost in HK$ - 1250. It was made very well ... even with an inbuilt garter. This dress comes in many colours - but I haven't seen my colour on the internet anywhere .... hmmm. I bought this for the Ivy Ball ... and 3 other girls wore the same dress but in different colours ... LOL.



2. This colourful piece here I bought in mid 2007 ... paid HK$ $4-500 ... and it is an alleged DVF piece. I love this dress ...







OK so now you are wondering about my Title ... well those 2 above were certainly great investments I made. What I am referring to is a failed attempt I made at investing in a beautiful expensive luxury good for re-sale. Chanel has been the storm in HK throughout 2007 / 2008. I had a business trip to London in Nov 07 ... and one of my best friends has on numerous occasions, purchased Chanel handbags ... and re-selling these in HK. From the Tax difference she makes around 10-20% profit off the bag. Not bad, given it's not alot of work. So when I went over, she convinced me to try this ... so i did ... and having little knowledge of Chanel bags i went for something I liked. A black, metal chained medium sized lamb leather bag, thinking this is versatile and would be easy to sell. What i didnt know though ... is that the fad in HK is over the Chanel 2.55 bag ... which my model was not. I thought mine was a funkier, more modern Chanel ... but unfortunately there was no market for it. I was close to selling it and bagging a 20% to my colleague. But on the day after she expressed it ... the stock market collaspsed and the $$ signs in my eyes turned to tears. By about late Feb it was approaching my 'big' birthday and by then I'd fallen in love with the bag and figured I can give myself my 1st Chanel for this big occasion. I promise! I am not normally a victum of brands!


Here it is ... Ta dah!






1 comments:

crisding on 8:56 AM said...

Dunno how to edit the entry - but regarding the Laundry dress -> correction: shd be in built bodice not in built garter.

 

Confessions of Shopaholics Copyright © 2009 Cosmetic Girl Designed by Ipietoon | In Collaboration with FIFA
Girl Illustration Copyrighted to Dapino Colada